Monday, September 10, 2012

Grilled Green Tomatoes with Corn and Pepper Salsa

I love tomatoes.  One of my fondest memories is of padding barefoot through my parent's backyard in Alabama towards my Dad's garden on a hot summer day and picking a sun-warmed, ripe, red tomato off the vine, and taking a big bite.  Juiciness ensued.  Flavors exploded.  It was indescribably phenomenal.

This past week, I made a "pilgrimage" to Jersey City after work to get dinner from my favorite food truck, the Cinnamon Snail.  The Snail was parked at Grove Street, where apparently on Thursday's, there is also a farmers market.  As I was weaving my way through hipsters and women with strollers, my eye found a table of green tomatoes... and it was love.


See, I've had a recipe in my recipe book for years... and I've wanted to make it, but I couldn't find green tomatoes in my local supermarket... so when I saw them, I bought them, immediately, and never looked back.  I got home, created a shopping list for the rest of the items, and set to work!

This recipe is originally from Shape Magazine, and it's touted as being 123 calories per serving, so not only is this a yummy use of farm-fresh green tomatoes, it's healthy...

Grilled Green Tomatoes with Corn and Pepper Salsa
Slightly modified from Shape magazine's recipe
Serves 4
Prep time: 15 mins; Cook time: 4-5 mins

Ingredients:
2 T extra-virgin olive oil
8 slices firm (unripe) green tomatoes, about 1/3 inch thick each
1 T dried Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 ears sweet corn, kernels cut off
1/4 red pepper, finely chopped
1/4 green pepper, finely chopped
2 T finely chopped red onion
2 T finely chopped cilantro
1 T rice-wine vinegar
1 t ground cumin
1/2 t chili powder

Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, mix olive oil, Italian seasoning and garlic.    Add tomato slices, rubbing marinade in.  Season with salt and pepper. Let sit for 15 minutes.

2. Combine remaining ingredients in another medium bowl.




3. Heat grill.  Cook marinated tomatoes 2 minutes or more on each side, until lightly browned.


4. Arrange grilled tomatoes on a platter and top with corn salsa.



Not only did I make this recipe according to plan, but I took it a step further and stacked two of the grilled green tomatoes with two red (ungrilled) tomatoes and 2 slices of fresh mozzarella:


Pretty stack! 

And it was gooooood.  Very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment